Today you are going to learn how to play Rift. This new and exciting online RPG is taking the world by storm, and it has received rave reviews from a number of critics. If you are new to the world of MMORPGs, or are just a bit confused by Rift: Planes of Telara (the full name of Rift) then you need to read this guide to playing. By discovering how to properly play the game you will massively improve how much you enjoy playing it.
The first thing you need to do when you want to play Rift (excluding installing the game, setting up your account, and selecting a server) is to set up your character. In Rift there are two 'factions' - Guardian and Defiant. Without going deep into the backstory of the game, it will suffice to say that the biggest impact this selection will have is on what races you can choose to make your character. Once you have picked Guardian or Defiant you can pick your race, and then select a calling (for more about Rift callings and which one to pick read this)
Basic gameplay for Rift is introduced through the opening hours of the game. As long as you pay attention to the action onscreen you should not have much difficulty picking up the basic mechanics of the game.
However, learning how to play Rift can get more confusing as you progress through the game (what a paradox!) here are some tips to make sure you get the most out of your gaming:
- If you are a Guardian and walk into a Defiant area (or vice versa) you run the risk of being attacked and potentially killed.
- If you do die and cannot be revived by a nearby ally then you have two main options- you can either wait an hour and then come back to life exactly where you were before, BUT with a few seconds leeway in which to get to safety. Or, your spirit can respawn instantly and you have to find your way to your character to revive them.
- Quest often and quest hard- this is the best way to get experience and gain levels quickly.
- Dungeons cannot be accessed until level 17, so don't waste time with them until then.
- Rifts are an integral part of Rift. This is basically where large amounts of enemies converge on a location, and there are usually 3-5 waves that must be defeated. Sometimes there will be a time limit in which to defeat the wave. You earn experience based on how much damage you did, or how much healing you performed, relative to the rest of the group taking part in the Rift with you.
- Remember that you have a once-daily quest to complete. The experience and loot from these can quickly add up.
- You should consider a proper strategy guide if you want to learn how to play Rift like a pro. With the right tips, tricks, and advice it becomes a much more exciting and enjoyable game. Check out Rift Supremacy, which is the best Rift game guide.