Professions are an important part of most online RPG games, and this is no exception for Rift: Planes of Telara. Picking the right profession for you will enable you to progress swiftly through the game, and you will also enjoy playing it far more. You can use professions to boost your character's skills, or you can profit by earning gold. Keep reading this Rift professions guide to learn more about the different types of professions you can choose from, as well as how you can use them to boost your progress in Rift.
There are two distinct types of professions in Rift: crafting professions, and gathering professions. All the professions in Rift fall under one of these two headings.
Rift crafting professions guide
- Armorsmithing is used to create armor for your character, or that you can then onsell to other players.
- Outfitting is similar, but creates leather and cloth items instead. If you rely on defense from heavy armor then avoid outfitting and pick armorsmithing instead.
- Weaponsmithing makes physical damage weapons for Warriors and Rogues.
- Artificing makes weapons for Mages and Clerics, as well as magical necklaces and rings (these can be used by every class)
- Runecrafting is used to break down existing items into shards/fragments, which can then be used to enhance other items (usually weapons or armor)
- Apothecary is used to create potions for healing, defense, and mana boost.
Rift gathering professions guide
- Butchering allows you to collect leather and hides from dead monsters.
- Foraging allows you to collect herbs and plants.
- Mining allows you to collect ore.
With gathering professions you can either use the items you find in conjunction with a crafting profession to make even better items, or you can go to the auction house and sell whatever you find. If you are short of cash, or want to raise quite a healthy sum of platinum in a short period of time then consider auctioning off spare items you got from gathering.
You can have up to three professions at any one time, and you can change later in the game (but you have to go through the hassle of assigning points all over again, so it is better to be sure what professions you want to use early on)
- Mining works well with weaponsmithing and armorsmithing.
- Butchery works well with outfitting.
- Foraging is good for artificing and apothecary.
For a more in-depth Rift professions guide please click here.